Thursday, April 30, 2009

Dori Yaki (Red Bean filled Pancakes)


Click photo to enlarge

My friend Jenn is here spending time with us in Tokyo! She arrived on Tuesday night and will be staying for just over a week. Yesterday was our first full day exploring some of the city, and with no surprise, Tokyo offered an exciting food experience!

Our day was spent walking around Takashimaya, a building full of stores like Gucci, Armani, and many other stores that we could not even fathom actually purchasing something from. However, the basement level was another story. In a seemingly endless space of counters filled with beautifully presented food, from tempura and sushi to chocolates and smoothies, we found an affordable outlet for our inner foodie-ness.

I have actually walked by this particular counter many times over the past months. The delicious smell of fresh pancakes wafts into my nostrils and I am intrigued watching the assembly happening behind the glass. The only problem is that I never really knew what I was watching or wanting to try. I knew it looked like a pancake. The first time I saw them, I thought they were filled with chocolate. Fortunately, I figured out before actually tasting them that it was actually red pean paste! That would have been quite a surprise biting into something expecting chocolate and getting beans instead!


Click photo to enlarge

We walked up to the counter and ordered 1 dori yaki to share. It was warm, slightly sweet, and absolutely delicious!

Click photo to enlarge
Jenn took the photos for this post (she is a fabulous photographer). For more on our day, see Jenn's blog here.

No comments: